Welcome to the El Camino Baptist Church blog. We wanted a place where our ministry leaders could share things that God has laid on their hearts. Please feel free to comment and join in the discussion as we share how God is moving through His church.Other places to find us on the web are our website, Youtube, and Facebook. You can also check out Hoss' music blog at hosshughes.com.









Friday, August 6, 2010

Genuine Love

Love is having the other person’s best interest at heart. Based on that definition, it sounds easy to love. Just do what’s best for the other person. But wait. What if what’s best for the other person puts you in a lesser light in their eyes? Do you still do what’s best for them, even at the risk that they might think less of you afterward? Even if it means it might injure your relationship with the person?

How many times do I opt for silence over speaking the truth in love, simply because I don’t want the other person to be upset with me? I can justify it and say, “I’m not the Holy Spirit. God will show them.” When in reality if I truly loved them more than I loved myself, I’d have their best interest at heart and not my own, and speak up.

Over the past six years I have watched and experienced the depths of this type of love, God’s love, through our Senior Pastor. He isn’t just a sound Bible teacher, he is a true shepherd. He cares about every aspect of our lives. He rejoices when someone in our body rejoices. He grieves when one of us grieves. He is encouraging and challenging. And he says the hard things when they need to be said for our good.

When Jesus lived on earth, many people in his country raised sheep. The sheep slept in a pen with only one opening, with no gate. At night the shepherd would lie in the opening to keep the sheep safe. The sheep were safe because their shepherd stood between them and any lurking danger. And he dealt with that danger head on if it got too close.

I’ve seen our pastor do this time and time again when we fail to see the danger we’re in. He gets between us and sin, and calls it sin to bring it to the light, because when sin is revealed for what it is, it loses its power in our lives. When we see it, we can deal with it. And conquering sin is in our best interest. It doesn’t feel immediately good to be on the receiving end of having light shone on sin, but the final product is a right relationship with God and others, and there is nothing better in life.

I want to love that sacrificially. I want to care more about others than my own comfort. I want to shepherd my little piece of God’s flock with equal care. Lord, please increase my love for others. Make me more like You!

No comments:

Post a Comment