Welcome to the El Camino Baptist Church blog. We wanted a place where our ministry leaders could share things that God has laid on their hearts. Please feel free to comment and join in the discussion as we share how God is moving through His church.Other places to find us on the web are our website, Youtube, and Facebook. You can also check out Hoss' music blog at hosshughes.com.









Friday, September 16, 2011

Faith like the Widow of Zarephath

I am usually a go-getter. When God gives me clear direction, I usually run full force to accomplish that which He has assigned.

Today, I sit here immobilized. Two weeks ago God gave me very clear marching orders, yet I find myself unable to take the first step. I know what to do, but I haven't done it.

I feel overwhelmed. I feel incapable of moving forward. I lack faith that God will supply the minimal volunteers needed to accomplish the task. It looks larger than Goliath, when in reality, the to-do list is much more simple than most of our ministries. In my head I know I am making it bigger than it really is. Yet here I sit.

The past two days God has addressed this issue with me through His Word. Today in 1 Kings 17 and yesterday in Matthew 11.

In 1 Kings 17:9 God told Elijah that He commanded a widow to supply him with food once he got to Zarephath. In verse 13 Elijah told the widow what God said. Did she not hear God? Did she not realize Elijah was the guy she was to feed? Did she not recognize or trust the voice of God?

Daily the widow got to see God work a miracle as the flour and oil were never depleted. Yet it took a more personal miracle...God bringing her son back to life through Elijah, for her to finally believe. Verse 24 records, "Then the woman said to Elijah, 'Now I know that you are a man of God and that the word of the LORD from your mouth is truth.'"

I cannot even count how many times I have seen God provide...mini miracle after mini miracle. I am confident that I know His voice. Yet my lack of initiative is proof that I doubt His power, His ability to provide. I love the quote, "Where God guides, He provides." Then why don't I budge?

Yesterday from Matthew 11:28-30 God clearly and affectionately said to me, "Come to Me, all you are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

I hear God saying to me, "The thing I am asking you to do with Me is achieved without great effort, without difficulty. The load I am asking you to carry is of little weight. It is a small amount."

I need to step out in faith. Lord, taking the first step of this assignment that I know will bring you great glory feels huge to me. Is it because I am not correctly connected to Your yoke? Please show me how to make what feels so huge, feel of little weight. Help me believe like the widow of Zarephath finally believed. Please help me move forward with You regardless of how I feel. Please increase my faith and quadruple my initiative. Please make me a go-getter for You!

No comments:

Post a Comment