Welcome to the El Camino Baptist Church blog. We wanted a place where our ministry leaders could share things that God has laid on their hearts. Please feel free to comment and join in the discussion as we share how God is moving through His church.Other places to find us on the web are our website, Youtube, and Facebook. You can also check out Hoss' music blog at hosshughes.com.









Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fasting

Hello all,

So it's been a few weeks since I've posted. I was feverishly preparing for January 16th and 23rd but now that those are finished, I'm glad to have a chance to sit down and write a little.

I wanted to share with you from my devotional the other day. I was continuing in Isaiah 58 and the first 12 verses discuss fasting. Though I knew the Bible talked plenty about fasting, I never took the time to look up any passages on the subject. I've fasted 3 or 4 times in my life for an extended period of time and I have always come out of that time more focused and in tune with God's will. This is exactly how Isaiah describes it as well. He says that those who fast properly will be strengthened, that they will be a light in darkness, that they will be called Repairer and Restorer.

After reading this, I put myself in the shoes of the unbeliever. From their perspective, fasting is merely self-deprivation. What good can come from that? You are weakening yourself, aren't you? And yet they would be missing the whole point. Fasting isn't about depriving yourself of food (though I think you can fast by abstaining from any manner of things). It's about focusing on the still, small voice of God. It's about blocking the distractions and chaos around us and concentrating on Him.

And believe me, it works.

Hoss

No comments:

Post a Comment